The Visitor Services Representative is the very first person met by visitors to the Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site. They greet, orient, and assist visitors in planning their experience at the Atlas Coal Mine.
Visitor Services Representative Primary Duties:
- Key-holder duties: opening and closing site; cashing in and out
- Informing the staff at the Visitor Information Center of tour times and schedules
- Welcome desk duties; greet visitors and orient them to the Atlas Coal Mine
- Sign visitors up for guided tours; keep accurate person-tour tallies
- Communicate with heritage interpreters regarding tour counts
- Stock and price product
- Oversee the organization and upkeep of the gift shop’s stock room
- Run register and debit transactions
- Answer telephone and direct calls
- Keep an updated supply list for the Director of Education & Visitor Services
- Work with management in compiling and updating 2018 inventory list
- Compile tallies and statistics
- Offer input on upcoming special events and ways to streamline visitor services practices\
- Contribute to Atlas Coal Mine’s Social Media
- Supply Illustrative Media
- Establish and oversee a recycling at the Atlas
Most of the VSR’s time is in the Red House - the location of the Atlas Coal Mine’s visitor services and gift shop. The VSR keeps the gift shop area neat, clean, and safe for visitors. This includes opening and closing the site, general tidying, looking after equipment, restocking shelves, cleaning floors, and cleaning bathrooms.
The VSR runs the Welcome Desk in the Red House. This is where visitors are greeted and receive orientation to the Atlas Coal Mine. The VSR accept admissions fees, keep daily records, and maintain the small gift shop.
The VSR will have ongoing projects including, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Director of Education in preparing for special events
- Social Media
- Illustrative Media
The VSR will assist Management with Special Events planning, organizing, and preparation. Tasks may include the Canada Day Float preparation, assisting in preparation and organization of Pony Day, Canada Day, August Long Weekend, etc.
The VSR will contribute to Atlas Coal Mine’s Social Media by creating posts and content for the ACM’s two Instagram accounts, Facebook, and Twitter. While these posts will follow the Atlas’ mandate, they will also be fun and creative.
The VSR will also assist with supplying original Illustrative Media to Atlas Coal Mine. The VSR contributes to and assists with the decoration, visual interpretation & explanation, posters, flyers, contributes footage, images and artwork to ongoing projects such as publications, teaching materials, animations, films. photographs, sketches, etc.
VSR will receive training on the following areas
- Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site Mandate, Mission Statement & Values
- Drumheller Valley history and Coal fields,
- Gift shop basics, cash operations,
- Customer & Visitor Services
- Tour schedule procedures,
- Supplies management procedures,
- Interpretive norms, and safety.
- Risk Management
- Social Media & Atlas Coal Mine NHS
The Ideal Candidate
This fun summer job involves a lot of time outside in the sunny Canadian Badlands!
We need positive, enthusiastic individuals with great communication skills and a love of learning.
Must be able to chat enthusiastically to visitors from the world over about Atlas Coal Mine and Drumheller Valley. Must be able stand for long periods while telling amazing but true stories. We’re looking for a self-motivated crew that knows what needs to be done. Must have at least one-year high school and returning to school in the fall. Interests in history, education, tourism, arts, or performing arts an asset. First-aid an asset. Access to car is an asset as we’re located 15 minutes east of Drumheller.
- High School Student
- Experience volunteering or working at a historic site, tourism, heritage, or cultural environment an asset.
- Social Media Experience
- Cash Handling Experience
Job Term: June 29th - Sept 2nd, 2019
Wage: $15.00 / hour
ATTN: Jay Russell
Visit our job site at https://heritagejobseastcoulee.weebly.com/
Visit our website at www.atlascoalmine.ab.ca