The Town of Drumheller is accepting applications for the position of Utilities Manager for our water treatment, water distribution, and wastewater treatment and collection facility
As the Utilities Manager you are responsible for the planning, coordinating and daily supervision of the activities of the Town’s Utilities department including water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection and treatment. Assist the Infrastructure Director in developing and implementing sound initiatives for short and long-term service delivery, oversee the daily activities of the staff and contracted services, prepare and manage operating budgets, and undertake small capital projects.
Reporting to the Director, Infrastructure Services, this position
- Leads, plans, directs, coaches and coordinates the operations of the Utilities department and the interaction of the department with other Town departments and services.
- Oversees and ensures that all tasks and projects performed by employees, specialists and contractors, within functional area, are carried out within Occupational Health and Safety standards, and that all proper due diligence is carried out. Also ensures that all contractors have proper Workers’ Compensation coverage.
- Regularly monitors a data information system for water and sanitary sewage control systems (SCADA). Ensuring compliance with Alberta Environment codes, Bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Diagnoses utility system problems and directs the necessary repairs in a timely and cost efficient manner, in compliance with all Town, departmental, provincial and federal requirements.
- Assists the Infrastructure Director in the preparation of the corporate annual and long range (manpower, equipment, services) plans, operational and capital budgets. Monitors all activity budgets on a regular basis.
- Supervises, hires, promotes, disciplines, demotes, suspends, releases (as necessary), transfers and directs all subordinate staff within approved personnel policies, Collective Agreement and legislation.
Training and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum grade 12 combined with Water Treatment and Distribution Level II Certification and Wastewater Collection and Treatment Level II Certification. Level III certification in any category would be an asset.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of progressive supervisory experience, preferably municipal, in a utilities, or waste management operation.
- Valid Class 3 driver’s license, preference Air Brake endorsement., with the ability to operate and maintain department machinery
- Proven ability to deal directly with staff and public in a courteous and friendly manner
- Hands-on application and use of computer system and applications
- Solid planning, organizing and problem-solving skills. Effective management, team building, leadership and supervisory strengths. Commitment to continuous improvement and excellent customer service.
- Familiarity with Municipal Government